The Volkswagen Golf GTI offers a moderate 19.9 cubic feet of trunk space and 34.5 feet if you fold the rear seats. While this may be adequate for your daily routines, you will undoubtedly need a roof box for those long weekend adventures.
Roof boxes are spacious and versatile cargo carriers for conveniently transporting large, curved gear that wouldn’t fit in your trunk. The Golf GTI is a typical hatchback with a sloping roofline that limits the sizes of roof boxes you can mount on your car.
With hundreds of products in the market, it is tedious and time-consuming to find a roof box compatible with the size requirements of your car. We have prepared a comprehensive Golf GTI Roof Box Review and narrowed the options to five high-quality, durable, and functional products to solve this dilemma.
Table of Contents
Top Choice – Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Box
Best Runners UP – Yakima RocketBox Pro 14 Cargo Box
Budget-Friendly – SPORTRACK SR7095 Skyline XL Cargo Box
Honourable Mention – Goplus Waterproof Cargo Box
VW Golf GTI Roof Boxes Overview
Last update on 2022-09-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Golf GTI Roof Roof Boxes
Thanks to its high-quality, rugged ABS construction, aerodynamics, and sleek appearance, the Thule Motion XT Carrier is our top choice. It is robust; durable, and the load capacity is capped at 165 pounds. The glossy finishing is meticulously done, which complements your Golf’s sporty, modern look.
For the Golf GTI, we recommend the L – size model as the car features a relatively small hatchback roof. The XT measuring 77 x 36 x 17 inches adds 16 cubic feet of storage to the car’s boot, 19.9 cubic feet. The length is critical as it does not infringe the opening of your rear hatch and doesn’t hang over your windscreen.
Installation of the 14-pound box takes under 20 minutes. No assembly or tools are required as Thule provides mounting hardware. The PowerClick mounting system and the integrated torque indicator ensure the box is appropriately and securely fitted.
The dual side opening mechanism and sturdy lid lifters offer convenient access to the roof box. The SlideLock System keeps the box shut even when battered by adverse weather. The indicator will click for maximum security of your belongings, alerting you all the locking points have appropriately fastened.
Aerodynamically, the Motion XT has a slim, low-profile design. It sits in a forward position on your roof, 15.5 inches off the crossbars. This reduces wind resistance significantly, giving you superb handling even in windy conditions while offering a better fuel economy.
- Roof-mounted cargo box provides 16 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system “clicks” when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
Last update on 2022-09-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Yakima kicks it up a notch higher with eco-friendly roof boxes made from 80% recycled ABS plastic. Take nothing away from this unconventional construction, as the RocketBox Pro is as durable and functional as the Motion XT.
The Pro 14 carrier measures 74 x 33 x 16 inches with a similar 165-pound load limit as the former. 14 cubic feet of storage and a flat bottom will give you enough cargo room for a family of 4 or pack up 4-6 skis or snowboards.
Mounting is quick and easy thanks to the box being compatible with Yakima Whispbar® racks, round and square bars, and most factory racks. Keep the minimum crossbar spread at 24 inches during installation and must not exceed 40 inches. No tools are required, just remember to align the mounting points, properly fasten the clamp locks, and you are good to go.
The RocketBox Pro 14 box has a better hatchback clearance than the Thule XT, with the minimum clearance slated at 45 inches. You can adjust the box positioning to your liking for better stability and even weight distribution.
The built-in Same Key System (SKS) lock cores prevent unauthorized entry into the box or the lid flying open when you are on the highway. The integrated push-button security allows you to open the box from either side with minimum fuss.
- Aerodynamic design to reduce drag with forward mounting hardware for improved hatch clearance making it great for small vehicles
- Perfect for SUVs, trucks and wagons; Quick-dial mounting hardware fits round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars; Hauls gear for up to 3 campers
- Dual-sided opening and push button security allow easy access on either side of your vehicle and ensure your lid is secure and your gear is safe with included SKS lock cores
- Love it ‘Till You Leave It Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Ideal for wagons and SUVs in need of added storage space, the RocketBox Pro 14 installs easily and works with a variety of factory bars so you always have extra room when you’re on the go
Last update on 2022-09-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The second Thule cargo box in our line-up, the Skyline XL, offers you a cheaper alternative to the Motion XT. It is made from UV-resistant, high-density polyethylene material, equally sturdy and long-lasting as ABS plastic.
Measuring 55 x 41 x 14 inches, it is shorter and broader than the former, making it ideal for camping and road trips. It can accommodate 3-4 averagely sized suitcases, sleeping bags, or tents in its 18 cubic feet cargo space with a 110-pound load capacity.
When looking for suitable crossbars for the Skyline XL, make sure their diameter is 4 inches or smaller or won’t fit. Please do not assume it will work before checking with the Fit Guide. Besides, position the crossbars 21.5 feet apart from each other.
Insert the U-bolt through the pre-drilled holes at the bottom of the box and tighten the threads using the hand knobs. Place the vinyl covers sealing off the unused holes, ensuring the cabin’s interior remains dry and dust-free. The 30-pound box opens from the passenger’s side and has dual locks for added security.
While mounting the Skyline XL is pretty fast and straightforward, its assembly will consume a considerable amount of time. It comes dismantled to reduce the shipping costs. Thankfully, it comes with detailed instructions and visual aids in English, French, and Spanish. Read the instructions carefully as any mishaps during assembly and installation are solely your responsibility voiding the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Made of high-density material for added stability
- Passenger side opening for access away from traffic
- Easy to attach and remove from the vehicle
- Includes locks to secure contents in the box
- U-bolt mounting hardware kit is included for the installation of the Skyline XL cargo box on most vehicles with factory installed or aftermarket roof racks rated at 150 lbs
Last update on 2022-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you are occasionally on the road for adventure or sporting activities, the Goplus Cargo box is your best bet. It is lightweight, waterproof, and durable cargo, offering you 14 cubic feet of storage space all year round without decolorizing or crackling.
The Goplus comes in 3 glossy colors; black, white, and titanium grey. The polished finishing does not just give the box a sleek, classy appearance and reflects UV rays keeping the interior cool. The box has a streamlined shape to minimize air resistance, and you’ll only see subtle changes in the gas mileage.
Constructed from industrial-grade ABS and PC materials, the box withstands the harshest weather conditions. Steel stiffeners further reinforce the base for stability, safety, and the capacity to handle up to 165 pounds of cargo. It’s remarkable that the box only weighs 25 pounds despite all the fortifications.
The 63 x 31 x 15-inch box is equipped with 4 to connect anchors for quick and easy mounting. For an accurate fit, the width of the crossbars should be 3.1 inches or less, with the maximum bar space at 24.8 inches. Sturdy latches firmly secure the box to the roof rack, ensuring the Goplus does not budge when you apply emergency breaks or are driving off-road.
The dual-sided opening provides easy access, while the double-lock design secures your valuables. While the locks are designed to deter vandalism and theft, you should remove any valuable gear from the roof box if your Golf GTI will be left unattended for an extended period or overnight.
- Perfect for Road Trip—Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet Cargo Box with Car Trunk Organizer—With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure! Included trunk organizer comes with 3 different size compartments, 12 side bags which will help you organize sundries with ease.
- Robust and Security Design—The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables. 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (the width of the luggage rack is adjusted to between 16.1 inches and 24.8 inches, and the width of the roof crossbar is less than 3.1 inches).
- High Quality Material—The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install—The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.【Note: please do not open the openings on both sides at the same time. The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.】
Last update on 2022-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last but not least is the 18 cubic feet JEGS Rooftop cargo carrier. Aesthetically, it doesn’t turn necks, but it is sturdy as any of the premier roof boxes. It measures 57.5 inches (L) by 28 inches (W) by 12.5 inches (H) and weighs 28 pounds.
Constructed in the US, it is made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) material. It is stiff, non-leaching, and can withstand extreme temperatures ranging from -148 to 176 degrees Fahrenheit. An additional UV coating bolsters the durability and weather resistance of the carrier.
Assembly and installation are simple without breaking a sweat. You require no tools as the box comes with a complete kit of mounting hardware and instructions. Maintain the crossbar spread at 25 inches, while the rear hatch clearance should be at least 35 inches.
It is compatible with square, round, and aero crossbars. However, you’ll need cross rails whose load limits are 150 pounds or more. This is a safety precaution since the box has a weight capacity of 110-pounds, and if overloaded, the entire rack system may collapse.
A four-corner locking system coupled with a front latch ensures maximum protection of your traveling gear. Conveniently load or unload your equipment from either side of the Golf GTI and shut it firmly for a waterproof seal.
- Secure & protect your gear in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell vehicle cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 38 1/2 W x 17 3/4 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- Waterproof storage for your luggage with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- Easy & convenient loading and unloading from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- No tools required, easy assembly and installation. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- Made in USA, limited lifetime guarantee. The JEGS car top carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
Last update on 2022-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I install Aluminum or Steel Bars?
Aluminum bars. They usually have T-track slots for fixing accessories, enabling you to use the entire length of the bar for carrying loads. Moreover, most bars have a low profile minimizing drag and wind noise. Steel bars tend to have accessories fixed around them, resulting in a shorter load-carrying length.
Will installing a roof box affect my insurance?
Yes. However, it will hurt your fuel consumption. Not to mention the irritating rattling noise it will produce when traveling at high speeds or uneven terrain. If you are not using it, you should unmount and store it.
How fast can I drive with a roof box?
All the products featured in the Golf GTI Box Review have optimized aerodynamic designs. This is to adapt to the stylish, sportier, better handling, and more fuel-efficient modern designs of the Golf GTI.
As much as the aerodynamics of the boxes will reduce unpleasant driving noises as much as possible, they will affect how you drive your car. Be conscious of the width and height of your cargo as you navigate through bridges, underpasses, and parking garages.
Ultimately, be acquainted with the local and state laws governing the projection of objects beyond the perimeter of a vehicle to avoid unpleasant confrontations with the men in blue.