A roof rack is a device that allows you to carry loads on top of your vehicle.
Roof racks come in various sizes and shapes, depending on the type of vehicle they are designed for.
They usually attach to the back of the car or truck using special brackets.
The roof rack itself can be attached to the vehicle either permanently or temporarily. Roof racks can be very handy to have on your van.
With a roof rack there is no need to travel lightly!
Some vans may come with permanent roof racks already fitted, but how do you fit one yourself?
Read on to find out the answer!
Table of Contents
What Exactly Is A Roof Rack?
There are two main types of roof racks: permanent and temporary.
Permanent roof racks are fixed to the vehicle and cannot be removed without damaging the vehicle.
Temporary roof racks are removable and can be installed and removed at will. There are many different brands of roof racks available.
Some of them are made from steel, aluminum, plastic, wood, fiberglass and other materials.
Most roof racks have some sort of frame which holds the load. This frame may consist of metal bars, wooden slats, or even flexible straps.
The most common way to install a roof rack onto a vehicle is by attaching it to the rear bumper.
This is done with special brackets called “bumper hooks”. These are usually located on both sides of the vehicle.
There are also brackets that can be used to connect the roof rack to the side of the vehicle.
The next step is to place the roof rack over the vehicle. Once this has been completed, the roof rack must be secured to the vehicle.
This is usually done by placing one end of the roof rack into the bracket.
Then, the opposite end of the roof rack is placed into another bracket. Finally, the roof rack is locked into position.
Once the roof rack has been properly installed, it can now be loaded with cargo.
However, before loading the roof rack with cargo, there are several things that should be considered.
First, make sure that the roof rack is securely fastened to the vehicle. If not, then the roof rack could fall off while driving.
Also, make sure that the cargo being carried does not interfere with the roof rack.
For example, if the roof rack is carrying a motorcycle, then the bike should not be too close to the front of the vehicle.
It is best to leave about an inch between the top of the motorcycle and the roof rack.
Another thing to consider when installing a roof rack is where the cargo will go.
Make sure that the cargo fits within the area covered by the roof rack.
Also, make sure the cargo is secure and won’t move around during transport.
If you want to find out more information about roof racks, check out our website.
We have a variety of roof racks to choose from. All of them are manufactured to last and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
How To Install A Roof Rack On Your Car
Installing a roof rack on your car is easy. Follow these steps to get started:
- Find the right location for the roof rack. Usually, the ideal spot is behind the rear bumper. However, if you don’t have enough room, you can locate the roof rack anywhere else.
- Attach the roof rack to the vehicle. Use the appropriate mounting brackets. The easiest way to do this is to use the factory mounting points. Sometimes, however, you might need to attach the roof rack using additional hardware.
- Load the roof rack with cargo. Before loading the roof rack, make sure that it’s securely attached to the vehicle. Also, make sure there isn’t any interference between the roofrack and the cargo.
- Lock the roof rack in place. Once everything is ready, lock the roof rack into place using the locking mechanism provided.
- Enjoy! Now you’re ready to enjoy all the benefits of having a roof rack.
Roof Racks & Cargo Baskets
A roof rack is a great accessory for your vehicle. They provide many different advantages, such as making hauling cargo easier.
In addition, they protect your vehicle from scratches and dings.
Some roof racks even come equipped with tie-down straps so you can secure your load.
A roof rack is basically a platform mounted onto your vehicle’s roof. There are two types of roof racks – fixed and removable.
Fixed roof racks are permanently affixed to the vehicle. Removable roof racks are designed to be removed and reinstalled whenever needed.
There are also various styles of roof racks available. These include:
- Front/rear roof racks – These roof racks mount on either side of the vehicle.
- Side rails – These roof racks extend along the sides of the vehicle.
- Top bars – These roof racks extend across the entire length of the vehicle.
What Are Roof Racks Used For?
The most common uses for roof racks are transporting bicycles or motorcycles.
Other popular items include skis, kayaks, surfboards, and other sports equipment.
Advantages Of Using A Roof Rack
- Allows you to carry larger loads than you would otherwise be able to.
- Protects your vehicle from damage.
- Provides better visibility.
- Makes parking easier.
Disadvantages Of Using A Roof Rack
- Can cause problems with the air conditioning system.
- May not fit some vehicles (e.g., SUVs).
- May interfere with the headlight assembly.
- May increase wind noise.
- May decrease fuel economy.
How To Choose The Right Roof Rack
Choosing the right roof rack depends on several factors.
Here are some things to consider when choosing the best roof rack for your vehicle:
- How much weight will you be carrying? If you plan on carrying large amounts of cargo, then you should choose a roof rack with more capacity.
- What type of cargo will you be carrying? Will you be carrying bikes, skis, or other sport equipment? Then you’ll want to look at the style of roof rack that provides the most protection for these items.
- Where will you be storing your cargo? If you plan on keeping your cargo in the trunk, then you’ll want to look for a roof rack that doesn’t obstruct access to the trunk.
- How often will you be using the roof rack? If you plan on using the roof rack only occasionally, then you may want to opt for a lighter model.
And there you go!
Hopefully this article has shown you how easy it is to attach a roof rack to a van, plus why having a roof rack on your van is such a good idea!